Sometimes I get a hankerin’. A hankerin’ for BUFFALO.
But hold on: I’m not a buffalo wing fan. I’m an anything-buffalo-besides-buffalo-wing fan. Buffalo mac and cheese, buffalo wing dip, and these tasty little gems: Buffalo Chicken Sliders. Mmmmmm…..
This recipe is a mish-mash of two of my favorites. I marinated, breaded and fried my chicken a la OnceUponAChef.com, and followed the remainder of Paula Deen’s Buffalo Chicken Slider recipe.
I shall tell you why. I fell in love with this simple yet flavorful recipe for Buttermilk Fried Chicken Tenders from Jenn Segal at OnceUponAChef.com long ago. The buttermilk and spices combine to create a flavorful and tender fried chicken. I haven’t yet found a better recipe for fried chicken tenders, so I’m sticking with it.
Jenn’s chicken pairs perfectly with Paula’s fun Buffalo Chicken Slider recipe, and the result totally handles my buffalo hankerin’. I hope it handles yours. Enjoy!
Adapted from Paula Deen and Jenn Segal
- 1 1/2 pound boneless chicken breasts
- 1 c. Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 12 slider buns
- Tomato slices (optional)
- Lettuce leaves (optional)
- 1/2 c. buttermilk
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 c. flour
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/8 tsp. cayenne
- 3/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 tsp. paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 3 Tbsp. buttermilk
- 1 c. mayonnaise
- 1/2 c. blue cheese crumbles
- 1/2 c. diced celery
- 2 Tbsp. white vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- Pound or slice chicken breasts to 1/2" thickness. Cut into slider-sized pieces. Combine the chicken breast fillets with marinade ingredients in large Ziploc bag. Turn the bag over several times to ensure all pieces are coated. Place bag in a bowl and refrigerate overnight.
- Make blue cheese dressing: Combine all blue cheese dressing ingredients in medium bowl. Cover and refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors combine.
- Remove chicken from marinade and set aside. Combine breading ingredients (flour, salt, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, baking powder and buttermilk) until clumpy. Place chicken pieces one at a time into breading mixture, pressing with fingers until breading sticks to the meat. Place breaded chicken pieces on a baking sheet.
- Heat vegetable oil in cast iron skillet to 350 degrees. Add a few pieces of breaded chicken to the skillet at a time. Don't overcrowd the skillet. Cook for 3-4 minutes on first side. Turn chicken over, and cook for another 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on both sides. Remove chicken to a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Continue until all chicken is fried to a deep golden-brown color.
- Prepare slider buns: Butter one side of each slider bun. Toast buttered-side-down on a hot griddle or skillet until golden brown.
- To assemble sandwiches: Place chicken pieces on bottom half of slider bun. Top the chicken with a dollop of Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wing Sauce, lettuce leaves, tomato slices, and blue cheese dressing. Cover with the bun tops and serve.